Saturday, August 29, 2009

ain't no sunshine when she's gone

oh whats up! so i moved into my city digs yesterday. of course, despite the weather forecast being sun, it was pouring rain all day! luckily it managed to lighten up to on-and-off drizzling when we actually got here. my parents and seamus helped me move in and get my stuff (mostly) unpacked and set up. i couldnt wait to check in at the front desk (which looks like a hotel lobby btw.. but i will post about my building in a diff post) and go check out my room! my room is part of a 6-person suite; the suite itself is pretty damn big! theres a kitchen area with a little table and chairs, the kitchen appliances themselves are probably from the 40s and kinda woofy. but the building was built in 1901 soo... yaknow! the elevators here are half the size of ones at ramapo by the way... so its weird! anyway so my suite- the shower/tub and a sink are in one part of the bathroom, then there are two separated sinks... then in an entirely different room is the toilet . soo thats pretty cool.

i met four of my suitemates so far. so many people here are from california! 2 of mine are from california, the LA area i believe, and other one is from the carolinas. the other two have been living here since last falll - one is an international student from taiwan, and i havent met the 5th yet. everyone is super nice and cool. its weird meeting so many people from CA.. one of my roommates came into my room, saw my air conditioner in the window, and asked what it was and how it worked! she had never seen one before. i know its hot out there so most people probably have central AC like i do at home but.. come on! never seen a window unit??!?! crazy. will def be fun to see them react and adjust to the snow this winter baha.

like i suspected, i am def a baby at this school- almost everyone i've met is 23-27, and all have like really awesome life stories like having lived in japan for two years to each english and crazy stuff like that. as long as they are still dtf for happy hours and a glass of wine here and there, im sure i'll befriend them in no time.

speaking of wine... of course i broke out the beringers white zin after the orientation meeting! and a little bit after that i went for a drink with a group of girls from my building at some place a block away that i cant remember the name of. go figure. on the way back we got caught in a downpour, so i ended my first living in new york looking very much like a drowned rat. but hopefully a cute drowned rat. whatevs!

other interesting things--- i have a gilted gold mirror on my wardrobe, which probably sounds ridiculous BUT I LOVE COOL MIRRORS LIKE THAT so i'm happy. and, housekeeping here cleans our common areas including the bathroom weekly! which was just so random i had to share.

ok i willl be posting pictures soon so if anyone is bothering to read this they can visualize it !

xoxo
sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment